Sunday, April 29, 2012

Continuing Celebrations

I have made such great friends here - they all want to make my birthday a memorable one! But I should start with Friday. On Friday I went to the library to read for my next tutorial paper, which I've been doing a large amount of reading for. In the evening, we had an Un-Special Dinner in the study room: we had pasties with either steak, chicken, pork, or vegetables, someone made a salad, and they bought cheap drinks (there were also EANABs which are equally attractive non-alcoholic drinks) to make this an un-classy event. It was really fun to hang out with everyone again, and my steak pasty was actually quite tasty. I would've liked to have an empanada, though. After we ate, some of us played the British version of Taboo, and then there was a dance party planned but our Junior Dean came back earlier than everyone expected and sort of ruined those plans. It was still a fun night though.

Today (Saturday) I woke up to work on the reading for my paper more. Then some of my friends took me out to a nice place for my birthday dinner. It was nice to go out to eat, and I was excited for their boba, but it wasn't all that great, so they all suggested I try my first "drink". I went up to the bar to order it (I'm not going to post the name, but the drink was very girly and hardly had any alcohol in it) and my friend Zander bought it for me. Apparently tomorrow, in Stratford, people are planning to take me to dinner before we see Twelfth Night, and my drink will be payed for as well. After dinner, we walked back to the house and my friend Thuy had made a special birthday dessert for me. Everyone sang, and they even lit a candle for me, but I was nervous that it would make the super sensitive smoke alarm go off so I blew it out straight away. It was really nice of everyone to care about my 21st birthday (especially since we're in a country that doesn't see 21st birthdays as a big deal) and I can't wait for tomorrow and Tuesday (May DAY) celebrations!

No comments:

Post a Comment